EMPower activities provide:
- Clear mathematical goals
- Contexts that are engaging and useful for young people and adults
- Opportunities to strengthen mathematical language and communication skills
- Various ways of entering and solving problems
- Puzzles that draw students into problems and motivate them to seek a solution
EMPower student books:
The EMPower student books are organized by lessons, all of which share the same format:
- Getting started. The first page explains the lesson and states the purpose of the activity.
- Getting to work. The activity pages engage the learner to explore the activities with a partner or in a group.
- Accessible help. Shaded boxes offer additional information and ideas to help students move forward.
- Practice pages. Following each activity, students have opportunities to reinforce new skills and confirm their understanding:
- Practice gives students a chance to use their new skills.
- Extension presents a more difficult problem or a new but related math idea.
- Test Practice asks a number of multiple-choice questions and one open-ended question.