What is (AR)2?
The Adults Reaching Algebra Readiness series builds upon the content presented in Adult Numeracy lnstruction (ANI) professional development.
(AR)2 begins with a review of linear functions, including in-out tables, equations, and graphs and progresses to systems of equations, always relating to real-life.
Activities then build from linear functions to nonlinear functions and explorations with exponents. Geometry concepts are explored as ways to apply algebraic reasoning in real-life contexts, including both linear and nonlinear examples.
Throughout the sessions, we continue to connect to basic number properties which are the focus on the College and Career Readiness Standards and other core ideas introduced in Teachers Investigating Adult Numeracy (TIAN) and ANI, including
Participants in (AR)2 will be able to:
• turn everyday experiences into opportunities for teaching algebraic topics;
• work with algebraic expressions/equations in various formats: verbal model, input/output tables, graphs and equations;
• solve a system of equations graphically and algebraically;
• manipulate symbols in decontextualized problem to solve various algebraic equations;
• make connections to the College and Career Readiness Standards;
• use real-life problems to analyze linear and nonlinear situations.