Target Core Ideas
Goal for this session: The new vision of science education focuses on deep understanding of a limited number of disciplinary core science ideas (DCIs). In this session, you analyze a short sequence of learning experiences within your curriculum through the lens of a DCI. You’ll identify target core ideas for the sequence.
a. This curriculum focuses on the DCI Matter and Its Interactions.
- Use the 5th grade standards for Matter and Its Interactions to find the components of the DCI that were used to develop performance expectations.
- Use the Example Planning Tool to find which of the components of the DCI were identified as targets for the 3-investigation sequence.
b. With the target goals in mind, the next step is to identify learning goals that contribute to students’ understanding of the DCI-- and omit those that do not.
- Use The Developing Model of Matter chart to see the sequence of activities and learning goals in the complete curriculum unit. Zoom into Investigations 10-12 to see goals for the 3 learning experience sequence.
- On the Example Planning Tool, find the learning goals were identified to help students move closer to the target DCI components.
Use the Planning Tool
- Find the standards for the DCI that your curriculum addresses. (See the NGSS.)
- Review what came before and what will come after in the students’ learning about this DCI. You can find descriptions of how each DCI develops from K-12 in the Framework.
- Complete the Target Core Idea Planning Tool (docx).
Note: You can look at a single lesson, one or more sequences of learning experiences, or an entire curriculum unit through the lens of a DCI.
Discuss in Your PLC
With your colleagues, share your filled out Planning Tool.
Grapple with questions. Provide feedback and support. Plan your next steps.