Click on the tabs below for free resources and useful academic and practitioner articles in numeracy education.
We've put together a list of some informative readings in the field of numeracy. They are grouped below by topic.
Number and Operation Sense - Overview
- Clock, J., Boone, M., & Kiser, N. What is Computational Fluency?
- Schmitt, Mary Jane. The Answer Is Still the Same.
Number and Operation Sense - Whole Numbers
- Curry, Donna (2007). Integrating Arithmetic and Algebra. The Math Practitioner. Vol. 13, #1.
- Curry, Donna (2009). Revisiting Subtraction. The Math Practitioner. Vol. 15, #2.
- Curry, Donna (2010). Two Ways of Thinking about Division. The Math Practitioner, Vol.15, #3.
- Reys, Barbara J. Teaching Computational Estimation: Concepts and Strategies.
- Russell, Susan Jo. Developing Computational Fluency with Whole Numbers in the Elementary Grades.
- Tierney,Cornelia C.(1985) Patterns in the Multiplication Table. Arithmetic Teacher (Vol. 32) pp. 36-40.
Number and Operation Sense - Proportion
- Lesh, R., Post, T., & Behr, M. (1988). Proportional Reasoning. In J. Hiebert & M. Behr (Eds.) Number Concepts and Operations in the Middle Grades (pp. 93-118). Reston, VA: Lawrence Erlbaum & National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Manly, Myrna, and Lynda Ginsburg. (Sept 2010) Algebraic Thinking in Adult Education. National Institute for Literacy.
- National Center for Improving Student Learning and Achievement in Mathematics and Science (2003). Algebraic Skills and Strategies for Elementary Teachers and Students.