- Burns, M. (March/April 2007). Mental Math from Instructor.
Suggestions for teaching students to do math mentally.
- Carroll, W.M. (1996). Mental Computation of Students in a Reform-based Mathematics Curriculum
Describes results of mental math study with two classes of fifth graders.
- Curry, D. (Spring 2007). Integrating Arithmetic and Algebra. The Math Practitioner, Vol.13(1), p. 5-7.
- Menon, R. (Spring 2004). Preservice Teachers' Number Sense. Focus on Learning Problems in Mathematics, Vol. 26(2).
This article includes a ten-item assessment used with teachers to learn more about their own sense of numbers. Try it yourself!
- Seeley, C. (2005). Do the Math in Your Head
Ex-president of NCTM talks about the need for mental math.
- Ten Research Findings from "Adding It Up"
Short research findings based on the book Adding It Up: Helping Children Learn Math from the National Research Council.
- What Is Computational Fluency?
This brief piece provides an overview of NCTM's stance on computational fluency and flexibility.
- Fennell, F. (2008). Number Sense - Right Now! from NCTM News Bulletin
Former NCTM President defines number sense with concrete examples.