NOTICE: Go to innovate2015.videohall.com to view the recognized videos and full list of finalists.
Innovate to Mitigate wants students or student groups to submit ideas about how to address climate change by reducing greenhouse gases.
People around the world are working hard on this problem. To meet the big challenges we face, we need good ideas from everyone. This challenge encourages young people to unlock their immense potential for finding solutions!
Students compete for a chance to win prize money and earn recognition from peers, community and experts.
More than a hundred creative solutions were submitted! Browse the submissions and see the qualifiers!
- Round 2 participants will expand on the details about how and why their idea(s) will reduce greenhouse gases in a 2-minute video and a paper (max 1200 words). More info about what the judges will be looking for »
- Final winners will be selected by experts and a community vote. Learn More »
DATES: MAR. 27 – JUN. 15
- Mar 27–May 13: Work on your submission. You can find the rubric if you click on "Learn more" on the website innovatetomitigate.org
- May 13: The link to register your intent to submit a video and paper will be open May 13 at 5 pm EST. Once your regisration has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing a link to the video hall, which is where you will upload your submission, beginning May 18.
- At this time we will also email you a fillable pdf consent form, which all participants must complete. You will not be able to enter your submission without it. You can sign it yourself if you are 18 years old. Students younger than 18 must get the form signed by a parent or guardian.
- May 18-29: Upload is open. You will provide some information about yourself and your submission, upload your video and paper, and upload your completed consent form. Teams should designate a "lead presenter" to begin this process, who will then add information about team members. The deadline is midnight EDT on May 29.
- June 1-3: We will review and confirm your uploads.
- June 8-11: The posterhall is open. Judges will pose questions for you in the judge's forum, where you will be able to respond to their queries. The presentations are also open for public viewing and discussion by invitation.
- June 12-14: The project judges review submissions, and your answers to judges' queries, and selects winners. Also at this time, you will receive a link to a survey asking you about your perception of the competition experience. Winners will not be announced until all participants have completed the survey!
- June 15: Winners are announced.
Please email if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Innovate to Mitigate Challenge is open to all middle school and high school students in the U.S., so share the word. Visit our media toolkit page for posts that you can share on Facebook and Twitter.
$4,000 1st prize
$2,500 2nd prize
$500 Best Critic Award
$500 Public Choice Award
Winning ideas and best critic award from Round 1 will move on to Round 2. Those selected for the second round will be notified March 27th. Final prizes will be announced June 15th.