Welcome to the TIAN website!
TIAN is a professional development initiative developing a model for standards-based mathematics professional development for adult basic education teachers.The TIAN model uses teacher inquiry and reflective learning to engage teachers in learning math and in learning new instructional approaches to algebra and data analysis to implement purposeful and effective standards-based mathematics.
The goals of TIAN are...
- to increase and deepen teachers' mathematical content knowledge to increase teachers' understanding and use of mathematics content standards
- to increase the number and range of teachers' instructional approaches
- to build teachers' connection to ABE mathematics/numeracy standards
- build the capacity of states' adult education agencies to support standards-based innovative math instruction for adults.
- provides background information on the original project and the body of research that informed our work
- introduces the goals and activities of the project,
- describes the mathematical content,
- presents some exciting examples of what participating teachers have been learning and doing with their students,
- offers free resources available for download