Math Musings: An Adult Numeracy Blog
Calculator Use in Adult Education
by Melissa Braaten Calculators are something that both teachers and students seem to have strong opinions about. Some cling to them like a magical tool that will solve all of their math woes, while others blame them for the decline in mathematical fluency. I don’t find either of these attitudes helpful. A calculator can be … Continue reading Calculator Use in Adult Education
Welcome to the SABES PD Center for Mathematics and Adult Numeracy home page!
The SABES PD Center for Mathematics and Adult Numeracy is focused on helping education practitioners and administrators in Massachusetts by offering math professional development on a variety of topics in both face to face and online formats. If you need support in developing your math curriculum, or would like to know how to teach with more rigor (conceptual understanding and application, not just procedures), or would like some technical assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Some ways we are ready to serve you include the following:
- Curriculum alignment with College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRS)
- Overview of key aspects of the CCRS (Key Shifts and Mathematical Practices)
- Effective teaching strategies to teach conceptually
- Modeling of lessons in the classroom
Please visit our Numeracy Offerings page for more detail our trainings and services, as well as our Calendar page for information on dates and locations. We will update the calendar as new offerings are scheduled. Don't see the kind of math PD you're looking for? Let us know!
What IS a curriculum anyway?
This brief video defines what a curriculum is and how having one in place helps us as teachers. The video also defines the parts of a curriculum, including scope and sequence, instructional units, lessons, and more.
Geometrocity: A Math City Designed with the Environment in Mind
ABE/ESOL students at the New Bedford Adult Education Program create a city from scratch using geometry.
Staff resource picks
- SEEING AS UNDERSTANDING: The Importance of Visual Mathematics for our Brain and Learning
by Jo Boaler, et al.
- Teaching Teachers to Teach: It's not so Elementary
by Deborah Ball
- Common Core Math Is Not the Enemy: Why you hate it and why we need new perspective in education by Brett Berry
How can we help you? Contact us at 617-873-9600 or send us an email.